Infrastructure Permits

Road Reserve Works Permit

All works within the road reserve require a Road Reserve Works Permit. This includes, but is not limited to, works for construction or alteration of driveway crossovers, nature strip, storm water drainage connections and footpaths.

The following must be supplied with your application:

  • Copy of public liability certificate of currency for the contractor carrying out works (providing coverage for at least $20 million)
  • Sketch plan: A copy of a sketch plan showing the proposed work and all assets within the vicinity must be provided. Assets include all trees, road pavement, kerb and channel, footpaths, drains and service authority and private assets.

An Asset Protection Permit must also be applied for. An additional fee for the Asset Protection Permit will apply. 

Asset Protection Permit

As of 1 November 2014, Asset Protection Permits are compulsory prior to the commencement of any building or construction works (including works that do not require a building permit).

Works means any work in connection with the construction, renovation, alteration, demolition, relocation or removal of a building, including landscaping, concreting and road construction.

An Asset Protection Permit will protect the owner of the site against paying for damage to infrastructure assets that existed prior to the commencement of works. This includes property owners, utility providers, as well as Council infrastructure assets and comprises anything outside the property, including but not limited to, vehicle crossings, footpaths, nature strips, drains and pits, kerb and channel, road pavement, trees, signs, poles and hydrants, etc.

You should obtain a permit at least 48 hours prior to the date you plan to commence your building/construction works – this will allow for the scheduling of a pre-works commencement inspection by Council’s Technical Services Department.

A Road Reserve Works Permit must also be applied for. An additional fee for the Road Reserve Works Permit will apply.