Public Questions for Council
Community Members (excluding Councillors) may submit a question to Council.
Questions must be submitted in writing, stating the name and address of the person submitting the question, on an approved or permitted form by Council. Questions cannot be anonymous.
Questions must be submitted 24 hours prior to a Council Meeting.
The questions will be answered at a Council meeting by the Chief Executive Officer or a nominated Officer.
If questions are submitted less than 24 hours before the Council meeting, they will be answered at the meeting where possible, and if no answer can be given, then a written answer will be given to the person as soon as possible after the Council meeting.
No person can submit more than two questions at any Council meeting (unless permitted by the Chair – Mayor).
The question will not be allowed if:
- relates to a matter outside the duties, functions and powers of Council;
- is defamatory, indecent, abusive, offensive, irrelevant, trivial or objectionable in language or substance;
- deals with a subject matter already answered;
- is aimed at embarrassing a Councillor or an Officer;
- relates to a personnel matter; or
- contains or refers or relates to Confidential Information.
Questions and answers must be as brief as possible, and no discussion is allowed other than for the purpose of clarification.
The Name of Person and Question will be read out by either the Mayor or Chief Executive Officer, and the nominated Officer is to respond.
Click here to view form.